Cardio vs. Strength Training
Strength training and cardio are equally important. Cardio is a type of exercise designed to increase your heart rate, while strength training is designed to fatigue your muscles. When planning your daily exercise, consider these factors about cardio and strength training.
- Cardio requires sustaining a level of activity that keeps your heart beating quickly over a period of time.
- Exercises like swimming, yoga, biking, aerobics, Pilates, and walking, are great ways to strengthen the heart.
- Cardio exercise improves how efficiently your muscles use oxygen so it’s like strength training, but for the heart!
- Lifting weights or using resistance bands, stresses the bones, which helps to increase bone density and decreases your risk of weakened bones and fractures.
- A pound of muscle takes up much less room than a pound of fat so a fit, toned body will be smaller than an out-of-shape one, even if the two people weigh the same.
- Muscle also burns more calories, making it easier to control your weight.
The next time you’re outside enjoying the nice weather, mix it up! Set a goal to be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day, doing both cardio and strength training exercises.
Mushroom “Bun” Sliders
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- cooking spray
- 12 mushroom caps, sliced in half horizontally (2½-3 inches diameter)
- 6 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 3 roma or plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups lettuce
- Combine the beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and mix well. For mixture in 12 small, flat patties.
- Coat grill rack lightly with cooking spray. Add beef patties, and grill covered, over medium heat until desired doneness.
- Add sliced mushroom caps to grill rack, and cook for 1-2 minutes per side (mushroom should still be somewhat firm). Or, leave sliced mushroom caps raw.
- Cut cheese sliced into 4 pieces each. Assemble sliders using sliced mushroom caps as buns, and add 2 pieces of cheese per slider. Serve with tomato slices and lettuce.
Makes 4 servings. 3 Sliders per serving.
1 Lean, 3 Green, 3 Condiments
320 calories, 36g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 17g fat
Julie decided she wanted to try a program that focused on more than weight loss. In 5.5 months she had not only lost 65 lbs, but had gained a new life full of health and hope! Now she has a wonderful health community and is set up for a lifetime of healthy living.
Let’s connect this week! I would love to walk your journey with you!
Health and Happiness,
Follow on Facebook!
Tina Kucera | http://www.tinak.optavia.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Our mailing address is:
Omaha, Nebraska 68118